Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dang Kittah!

So a customer asked us if that was our dumpster out back, which it was. He then informed me that there were two kittens in it. So we went out to investigate together, and sure enough there were two tiny kittens, one grey and one black. They were laying together quite calmly, looking totally pathetic. We figured that they wouldn't make it much longer judging by their appearance and demeanor.

The edges were far too high for them to get out on their own. I seriously doubt that they got in there by themselves either, most likely someone dumped them there.

Several thoughts went through my mind. If I rescued them, what would I do with them? Nurse them back to health? What if they died, or needed to be put down? Arrgh, what a mess! But in the end, I decided that there was no way I could just leave them there to die a miserable death of heat and dehydration (had to be like a thousand degrees in that dumpster!).

So we gathered up a suitable box for them, and into the dumpster I go. As soon as I landed, they sprang to life. They ran to opposite corners, one actually finding it's way into a bag of refuse. "Well, I think they're going to be OK!", I immediately commented. Seems we had misjudged their condition, they were actually quite frisky.

I grabbed the bag containing the grey kitten and managed to wrangle it out. As soon as I grabbed a hold of it, I realized I was making a mistake. It fought and kicked and clawed, and eventually sunk it's teeth deep inside my left index finger. I shouted a curse word as I clutched it with my other hand, and wrestled it into the box that Groucho was holding with lid ready. It immediately escaped and ran off.

With my finger now bleeding profusely, the customer comes over with two baseball gloves that he had in his car to handle the next one. We decided that my bloody finger inside his kid's ball gloves was a bad idea, so into the dumpster he goes. With the aid of the extra layers of leather, the removal of the second kitty went quite well, and off it ran.

There was some discussion and we decided that a bite from a wild kitty that lives in a dumpster could be a bad thing, so I went to the urgent care center to open a workman's comp claim. I got a tetnis shot, and a script for antibiotics just in case it gets infected. Then I got to go to the hospital for a breathalyzer and drug screen, company policy following an accident.

Three hours later, and I'm back to work.

No comments: